Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Generac 8kw, LP m-0058700 s-6332110 almost starts... I have

Customer Question

Hi Frank,
Generac 8kw, LP
m-0058700
s-6332110
almost starts... I have manual and went thru the entire flowchart on troubleshooting engine cranks but will not start.
evened closed spark gap to .20
and opened valves to .007
good gas pressure etc, have spark, fuel solenoid opens, choke closes, stepper goes to correct position, new fuel regulator just for fun,
Question is... when putting in a new magneto i noticed that i can turn the engine by hand without the spark plug removed... do you think it is a blown head gasket... cylinder moves up and down, valves look like they are working... was getting 120lbs compression before i opened valves... did i open them up to much?
Thanks for your help!
Don Tucker
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Frank, Generac 8kw, LP m-0058700 s-6332110 almost starts... I have manual and went thru the entire flowchart on troubleshooting engine cranks but will not start. evened closed spark gap to .20 and opened valves to .007 good gas pressure etc, have spark, fuel solenoid opens, choke closes, stepper goes to correct position, new fuel regulator just for fun,
Question is... when putting in a new magneto i noticed that i can turn the engine by hand without the spark plug removed... do you think it is a blown head gasket... PISTON, not CYLINDER moves up and down, valves look like they are working... was getting 120lbs compression before i opened valves... did i open them up to much?
Thanks for your help!
Don Tucker
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Previous owner said that the gen worked great for a couple of years... recently became harder and harder to start each time for exercise mode... now no start... almost runs... very close to starting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I have no patients... I am logging off and hope to be notified by email soon... Thanks again for your time!
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I was out of town today.

I work 2 day jobs and help on Just Answer in the evenings.

You will be able to turn this engine by hand - it is not that strong of an engine.

I've never had to adjust the valves that far open before to get an engine started - I've never had to go past .005". But I know for a fact that the engine will run with the valves set to .009".

With the plug closed to .020", try setting the valves back to somewhere between .003" and .005".

When you installed the magneto, did you make sure to properly set the air gap to .010"?

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?