JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Model 227 with kohler 27 hp will crank and run when key is

Customer Question

model 227 with kohler 27 hp will crank and run when key is in startposition motor dies when key is released to run position . new ign sw installed no help, ideas? Dan
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you provide the model and spec number from your engine so that I can better assist you? Do you have a volt meter in order to do a couple of checks if needed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model CH740S spec number – 3110
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a meter handy
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

What brand of mower is this on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Grasshopper 227
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't need the phoneA couple of times the motor did start and run briefly and then turned itself off
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me if your engine has a fuel solenoid valve on the carburetor? If it does there will be a wire going to the bottom of the carburetor, I can't tell just looking at a parts diagram of your engine. Also, do you know if you have Smart Spark ignition? If you do there will be a black box on the starter side of the engine it is about 2" X 2 1/2".

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does have a fuel filter night shut off and it does magnetize but there is not a smart spark ignition
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

We need to know if you are still getting voltage to the fuel solenoid on the carburetor once the engine is started and the key released to the run position. If you can get your tester inline with the wire going to the fuel solenoid then start the engine and release the key and see if you have constant steady voltage coming to the solenoid through the whole process.