Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

Jd 445 engine won't crank .starts if jumped at solenoid and

Customer Question

Jd 445 engine won't crank .starts if jumped at solenoid and PTO won't engage. Has new ign swich & circuit board &PTO sw
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for usingjustanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with yourconcern today.

Start by testing at the ignition switch for battery 12v+ and ground, it is likely you have lost either a power or a common ground. It starts/cranks with a screwdriver because it has other needed powers and grounds just no ignition crank signal to the solenoid on the small wire and without that the solenoid cannot energize to engage the starter motor side of the circuit. So this is why you would need to start at the ignition switch with a voltmeter first checking all connections and for correct voltages be it powers and grounds. Also check pto is NOT engaged, this can mean an bad pto as well, or problems with the pto circuit or it thinking it is in gear, either of those will prevent it from cranking.

I am just seeing if youstill need assistance with this problem? The reason I ask is because I see thatyour question has not been answered sooner and I wanted to make sure if youstill needed help.

In some cases a questionmay sit due to several different things including the amount of thedeposit/question value, time it was asked, the complexity of the question,number of experts that can help you at a certain time, lack of detailed infoand so on. My objective that I wish is to make sure that if you still need helpthat I can at the very least reach out to you and attempt to help you. I maynot have exactly the experience to deal with a certain problem but instead ofyou not receiving any answer at all I would at least like to reach out andattempt to help you.

At this time please feelfree when you are ready to reply back to me and ask to continue working withme, another expert or if you no longer need help please just let me knowexactly what you wish to do.

Thanks,

Joe