Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Question..... I have an older 2001 Advantage walk behind

Customer Question

Question..... I have an older 2001 Scag Advantage walk behind with a Kawasaki engine. The blades are disengaging in thick grass while cutting. Sometimes I can shut the blades down and start them back again ok but sometimes I have to give the pulleys a kick start with my foot for them to start back. The clutch SOUNDS like it is slipping when the blades are starting to spin. Any suggestions besides a clutch?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the adjustable clutch with the three springs and self locking nuts? Tightening the nuts move the magnet closer to the armature. That lets the clutch hold better.