Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a stihl o8s,and am having trouble starting it,could

Customer Question

i have a stihl o8s,and am having trouble starting it,could you help me please,i have stored it in my shed which is partly heated because i run a few chicks,which should have kept the damp of the saw,i have just bought some fresh fuel,and some semi synthetic 2 stroke oil for the mix ,at a ratio of 50 1,i have cleaned the plug and checked the gap which seems to be ok.and checked for spark which is strong,i sprayed a bit of wd40 in the cylinder before i put the plug back on ,i then pulled the saw over severall times and it ticked over for about 4 seconds,then stopped ,after about 200 pulls and my arm dropping off it still wont start,,next step i took the casing of and screwed out the screw jets,and blew into the carb with my compressor,then reensurted the jets fully in until seated then anti clockwise 1 1/2 times out,stihl wont start,,any obviuos signs what iam doing wrong kind regards david
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi David my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. When did the saw last run ? . It sounds like a carburetor issue to be honest . There could be several things causing it , the pumper diaphragm gasket could be brittle, the fuel inlet screen could be blocked or restricted by saw dust or old gas . At this point I would remove the carburetor and get some Gumout carburetor cleaner, take the carburetor apart and check the screen , gaskets etc, remove the needle etc and spray down through the screen spray out through the Jets as well . If the gaskets look bad it's better to buy a rebuild kit and replace them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello john ,the saw last ran last oct nov time,as far as replacing the carb ,l dont think iam confident enough to take one appart and put it back in one piece,can you talk me through fine tuning the carb needles as i think i night have set the needles wrong when i blew the carb out
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

You snug them tight , don't over tighten them. Then back them out 1 1/2 turns each , that's the rough adjustment to get it running , but being it has had gas in that carburetor since last October it's very likely the carburetor needs to be sprayed out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
many thanks for your valued advice ,i will try this and get back to you ,regards david
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok David , let me know if that gets it running