Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Kohler 17.5 ohv on Deer, Machine wouldn't start a week ago;

Customer Question

Kohler 17.5 ohv on John Deer, Machine wouldn't start a week ago; been running all summer. I verified spark on new plug, good gas and new filter. Just replaced head gasket over weekend since I have seen some black discoloration on the machine at the exhaust port. cranks and cranks and smells like it's burning a little something and gas oder too of course. In other words the new head gasket made no change. It seems like either bad piston rings (saw no scoring of cylinder) or could it be a carburetor issue?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

With spark plug removed, do you have compression? With no gage, use finger with rag over the hole , to see if it has enough comression to move your finger.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If it has spark and compression, put a teaspoon of fuel into the cylinder , re-install the spark plug and see if engine will run for a few seconds.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If not, check the valves for movement, and if ok, the next thing to check is the timing key between flywheel and crankshaft.