JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a new Toro TimeCutter 4225. It starts great, but will

Customer Question

I have a new Toro TimeCutter 4225. It starts great, but will not stay running with PTO engaged... Thus I can't mow.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Will the machine run any at all with the PTO engaged? Does the engine die as soon as you pull the PTO switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It varies. The PTO can usually be engaged for a minute or so, and blades turning, cutting grass, then quits. If I disengage PTO, machine keeps running.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like the seat safety switch is not working properly. Are you sitting all the way back in the seat? You aren't mowing on rough ground that might be bouncing you off the seat momentarily are you?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will do the same on a flat service.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I believe that it is your seat safety switch that is causing this problem. Can you tell me how many wires are going to the seat safety?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 brown, 1 orange
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Unplug the wiring going to the seat switch and see what happens. We may have to install a jumper wire in between the wires on the connector but try it first without the jumper.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't run
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Install a jumper wire in the connector that was plugged onto the seat switch. A small wire or paper clip can be used to do this, all we want to do is connect the wires in the plug.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Unit shuts down soon as I bring the steering handles to the middle, unlocking park break.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Does your seat safety switch has two terminals or three on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2... One has 2 brown wires, the other one has 1 orange.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

So when you jumper the two wires and try to run it the engine dies when you unlock the parking brake. But the machine won't start at all when the wire is just unplugged with no jumper. Let's go ahead and hook everything back up and try to run the machine, try sitting in the center of the seat and see what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put it back as it was, then clipped and put the wires together. No change in performance. It'll start and run, but wants to shut down as soon as the PTO is energized.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you release the parking brake and drive the machine? Does the deck start to come on and load the engine then the engine dies? Does the engine die as soon as you pull the PTO switch as if you shut the engine off?