Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a stt52a 27ch. It blew the 20 amp fuse about 1-2

Customer Question

I have a Scag stt52a 27ch. It blew the 20 amp fuse about 1-2 minutes after starting while at full throttle but nothing had been engaged. I replaced the fuse and started it. It blew out again. But the second time I noticed the amp meter was pegged out at the top end of the scale. What should I be looking for in terms of overcharging and blowing the fuse. I know cars not so much on mowers.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
What brand is your engine? I would also like to have your model numbers.
Disconnect the wiring connector from your rectifier regulator. Let's see if your fuse still blows. We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine is a Kohler Command Pro 27 hp
model ch740s
serial number(###) ###-####
build date 04/01/2004
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. Disconnect the connector from your rectifier regulator, and your fuse another try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is that located. I found one item that has wires from it on the top of the engine but it comes out to a plug that has the wires from the ignition to the starter and others in the same plug. Im having a hard time finding the 3 prong plug for the regulator rectifier.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Look for a shiny part mounted to the side of your plastic engine shroud.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found it and unplugged it the mower ran fine and didn't blow the fuse. So am I to assume I need to replace the regulator rectifier?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are correct. Thank you for checking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the help. It was much appreciated, your knowledge as to where to check saved me a lot of time.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Very good! I truly hope all goes well for you.