Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I just purchased what I was told was a 2010 Craftsman YTS

Customer Question

I just purchased what I was told was a 2010 Craftsman YTS 3000. Initially started fine, drove it to my garage, filled with gas and adjusted the seat. Lawnmower would not start. Figured it had something to do with the dead man switch so fooled with it some and it started right up. No problems, ran great until I got to the hills in my yard. Even at full throttle, the mower would not make it up the hill. Thought this to be strange for a 21hp motor as my old Murray 12hp did just fine. So, I rolled backwards to the bottom of the hill and the engine began to sputter and stalled. Now, will not start. Thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. , when you hot to the hill did the motor loose power ? Or did it just not go up but ran ok . If it sputtered and started choking out my first thought is it sounds like water in the gas and carburetor bowl

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a loss of power but did not initially sputter and choke out. It ran fine. What would signs of transmission problems be? Would this cause loss of power?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
The first is a worn or stretched drive belt , was there any smell of burning etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None. I will pull the carb off when I get home from work. The gas was fresh so I do not think it is water. It cut about an acre of grass and when I got to the hill it had no power.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
If it was running strong I wouldn't worry about the carburetor. Try running it up the hill cold , if it fans up the hill cold ride it around for a while then try it when the Trans is hot , if it will not go up the hill once the Trans is hot it's a sign something 8s wrong in the transmission
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A transmission problem should have nothing to do with the mower not starting correct?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
No , but it could cause it to be weak when hot . If it died with the blades engaged it won't start until you discover engage them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, update. Got home and my son and I went to work on the mower. Damn thing started right up. I attempted to recreate yesterdays problem by cutting the grass again. Ran it up and down the hills with no problems. I did find that keeping the mower at a slower speed allowed for a much noticeable transmission response. Bot***** *****ne, I could not recreate yesterdays issues. So, my question is can this remain open until such time I can cut the grass again? Probably this weekend. Though I had the deck engaged it was not doing much as the grass was already cut. Would long grass put more of a load on the mower which could recreate yesterdays problems? I will wait for your response. Thank you. Charles
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Sure , let me know know what happens next time you cut grass