Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 2002 ezgo with 295 motor. I just bought it and it

Customer Question

I have a 2002 ezgo with 295 motor. I just bought it and it doesn't sound like it is firing at all. I removed the carburetor and sprayed starting fluid in. Still no fire. If I pull a plug and ground it I can see a spark. I just checked the timing belt and found it was 180degrees off time. So I put the belt on correctly using page E-11 from the manual. Still no fire. The oil pressure ground swich is disconnected.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The guy I bought it from said he had to adjust the valves to get compression up. Now that the motor has been adjusted 180 to get it back in time, would this affect the valve adjustment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also compression was at 165 and 170 psi. before the timing belt changes
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I have found never to take a persons word on what they have done to an engine. !I would recheck the valves! If you have spark , and compression, and timing is correct,It should fire. Have you seen it run? Or you bought dead? Check the valves, if they are adjusted wrong, it might not show as low compression, but as no start!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The timing cover is missing, and that's why I rechecked the timing belt to make sure it was on properly. It was not. I just checked the valves and they were all really close to .oo4". I bought a spark tester and will try that and let you know.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so there's no spark at all on the plug tester I bought. If I connect a timing light, I get some sporatic lighting from the plug closest to the timing belt, but virtually none from the other side. Someone has been messing with the electrical and I need to confirm everything is correct before moving on, but the EZGO manual has this really obscure/terrible wiring diagram. Any idea were I can get a decent schematic that shows color codes, etc.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/Bobezgoer/txtgaswiringds0.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so wiring is ok, but I need to test the Ignition Circuit. Any way to test the pulser coil with a volt meter? The guy I bought it from replaced the ignitor and coil before I bought it. I can try the old coil, but I need to be able to test the ignitor and coil. Can I test coil seperately?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Set meter on low voltage or ohms and use meter leads to test pulser coil. if it has a pulse, it should be working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ignition coil has .5 ohms across the + - leads. I'm assuming this is not good since it would require something like 24A to fire the coil. The secondary winding (resistance between spark plug wires.) is 8k ohm. Also, last night I checked the 4 pin plug that goes to the coil from the ignitor and the RED and WHITE wires from the aftermarket ignitor were reversed. This means that the positive lead from the ignitor was going to the negative and vice versa. If you switch the +- wires to the primary on the coil, would that harm the coil?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I doubt it would hurt the coil. But the coil may have already been bad,