JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Cub cadet rzt54 suddenly will not go on. Was working fine.

Customer Question

Cub cadet rzt54 suddenly will not go on. Was working fine. Then stopped and now will not restart. Have checked gas, pto off, emergency brake on, clutch set at max.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery light does *not* go on when I crank the engine. Nothing happens at all. Wondering if possibly fuel line is clogged or something (I have no idea, am inexperienced with mower repair).
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The engine is cranking over but just won't start, right? See what happens if you remove the air filter and spray carburetor cleaner or a little bit of fuel into the throat of the carburetor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. That was not clear. Engine does not crank. Nothing happens when I attempt to crank it.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the fuse in the system to make sure that it is good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you check the fuse? Thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You can remove the fuse and just look at it, normally you can tell if it is blown or not pretty easily when looking at it.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It is normally a spade type fuse which can be seen through to tell if it is broken inside or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the fuse and it looks perfect. I put it back in position. (mower still won't crank at all)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lawn is full of grass clippings. I wonder if it possibly could have clogged part of the fuel system and how to check it . but don't know if maybe the fact that it won't even crank means it is not the fuel system
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

When you try to start the machine does it do anything at all, any noises?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

In order to get into the fuel system it has to enter the fuel tank, unless you are running the machine with the fuel cap off it can't get there.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You have the parking brake locked, both drive levers in the out or neutral position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct, no noises. Ok I understand re:fuel tank. Yes, parking brake locked and handlebars in the out and neutral positions.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a volt meter or have you had the battery checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check that. We have a bolt meter. What numbers am I looking for? (just wanted to add: against advice, we have been letting the grass get way too long between mowings)
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Grass length should not really affect it, it is harder on the machine to cut but should really not cause you any problems at least not like this.

I want to check the battery voltage, if the battery is fully charged we will see something in the 12.7 - 12.8 volt range, this is VDC.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Voltage seems fine. My meter only has options of 10, 50, 250 and 500 dc. It shoots right to the top of 10 and goes to about 10 on the 50 as well, but it is analog, and seems clear it has a charge... Nothing that would seem to justify it not even cranking. Wonder if it could be the starter that isn't working?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

On the 50 setting it is only going to 10 on your meter? You need to charge the battery it is not fully charged. The battery may actually be bad as well. What happens if you try to start the machine with you meter hooked up and see what the voltage does?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But it was working fine one minute (had been mowing for 30 min or whatever,) then got clogged with clippings, shut off. and suddenly would not restart. Can I jump it with a 500 Amp jumper you use for a car? I'll check the voltage meter when I try to crank it. One minute...
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can jump it from anything else that is 12 volt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I read it while someone else tried cranking it. There is absolutely no change in the meter reading when it is cranked.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried to jump the machine to see what happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried jumping it. Nothing happens. Still doesn't even crank, though jump starter is attached and turned on.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me if you are getting any voltage to the small spade terminal on the side of the solenoid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me check.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I will be waiting to hear what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I still haven't figured out where the solenoid is.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It should be under the seat area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see anything under there except the battery. Anything else is too deep and impossible to see or access.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry. It looks like your solenoid could be mounted under the right rear of the frame just behind the right rear wheel. It looks to be tucked up under the edge of the frame.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.