Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Curtis, I have an old EzGo Cart 1983-85. I tested the

Customer Question

Hi Curtis, I have an old EzGo Cart 1983-85. I tested the solenoid as directed and it appers to work fine. The battery's tested in series show 31.4 volts. The charger won't come on. The cart does not move in either direction. Is it the batteries or something else?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Batteries are too low to drive cart. And may be too low for the charger to come on. It has internal relay that has to see battery voltage before it turns on. Assuming it is automatic charger and not a manual timer. You can use an automotive charger to charge two batteries at a time, to get voltage up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an automatic charger that came with the golf cart. I also tried charging each battery seperatly with a car charger with no luck. Each battery shows about 5.8 to 6 volts when tested. Total voltage tested in series is 31.4 volts. Don't you think that would be enough to start the charger? What is the min voltage for the charger to come on?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Usually 30 volts would be enough to close the relay in charger. But that has to be at the charger port on cat, do you have the 31 volts there? If you are electrical, you can open the charger and jump the relay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
31 volts were the charging port connects to the pos & neg of the batteries. Yes, I can open the charger and jump the relay. How do i itentify the relay.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

only relay on the internal card.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/40000518/images/club_car_36_relay_powedrive_charger_relay_golf_cart.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try in the morning and let you know. If it doesn't come on would it be the charger or batteries?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Charger i f it does not come on when jumped.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went ahead and removed the yellow & white wire from the relay, jumped the yellow & whte together and it still not turning on. I noticed there is a big fuse in there. I will check that as well.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK