Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My lawnboy push mower will start but won't run unless I

Customer Question

Hi, my lawnboy push mower will start but won't run unless I adjust the choke lever
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
How long has it been since your engine last ran to your satisfaction?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Please take a look at the image I have attached for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The image shows a breakdown of your carburetor. I mark the image with red arrows for reference points. #16 is your main jet, and #9 is your main nozzle. Both of these parts could be clogged, causing a fuel restriction within your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You will need to give your carburetor a really good cleaning, in order for it to perform as it should. If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, and a small wire, you can try giving your carburetor a basic cleaning. If a basic cleaning does not work for you, you will need to soak your carburetor, and give it a more detailed cleaning.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked about 10 days ago. It seems the only way I can access is from that bottom nut. How do I get to those areas that may be clogged?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You will need to remove your carburetor from your engine.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If you remove your air filter cover, and your air filter, you will have access to your carburetor mounting screws.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to be concerned about that gasket behind the air filter?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If you are careful, you can re-use the gaskets. Please make notes, and take pictures as you remove parts. This will make re-assembly go a lot smoother.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long will you be on here? I will go remove now
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I will be here throughout today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There seems to be a long pin attached at the top, do I take that out of the hole to remove the carb, or is there another way?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Yes this is a linkage, and will need to be removed, but please take a picture of it, before removing from the hole in your carburetor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any way i can clean it without taking apart the whole carb?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

After you remove the bowl from your carburetor, you can try using some carburetor cleaner in a can, and some compressed air to clean every hole you see. If this does not resolve our problem, you will need to do a more detailed cleaning, which includes dis-assembling your carburetor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it back together, but now it won't turn over when I pull on it
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Spray a little carburetor cleaner directly into your carburetor, to see if it will help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, got her running. How can I fix the up and down whining or chugging?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The up and down chugging indicates that your carburetor is starving for fuel, and still have some fuel restriction inside.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay so maybe after mowing season is about done, take it off, disassemble carb and soak it? What solution do I soak it in?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You can use any good quality carburetor cleaner at your local auto parts store. I personally use one called Berryman Chem-Dip.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You may find a cleaner that is less expensive. It will work for you as well.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You can purchase a brand new carburetor for your mower from eBay, at a very reasonable price. This is what I would like to suggest for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your carburetor is a Honda carburetor, part numbers 16100-Z0L-802

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There are several listed on eBay for under $30.00