Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Kyle here. I have a walk behind mower SWZ36A-15KA. It dies

Customer Question

Hi Kyle here. I have a Scag walk behind mower SWZ36A-15KA. It dies when I release the brake control. It also dies when I activate the clutch. To the best of my knowledge it has 3 safety switches. I tested them all too many times and finally replaced them all. I can start the machine and remove all the wires from the deck harness to the instrument panel harness and machine will run until the black wire is connected and brake or pto ate moved to run position sorry for rambleing
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello Kyle. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Is your mower an electric start, or manual start? One of your safety switches is an Operator Presence Switch. This switch works very similar to a Seat Safety Switch. Example: If your seat safety switch, or the wiring connector that attaches to your seat switch is faulty, your safety system will think that you are off of your seat, although you are sitting in your seat, and cause your engine to shut down, when you release your brake pedal, or attempt to engage your blades.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your Operator Presence Switch works based upon the same principals. The safety system on your Scag thinks that you are not in a safe operating position, and is causing your engine to shut down when you attempt to either release your brakes, or engage your blades.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Please click on image below.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Double check your Operator Presence Switch, and also check the wiring connector that attaches to it.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!