Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

After replacing the battery on a Deer L120 it needed

Customer Question

After replacing the battery on a John Deer L120 it needed charged,but my charger would buzz loudly for a few seconds @7Amps then stop. It continued this until I noticed how Hot the charger was getting,unplugged it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Did you double check, to make sure have the correct cable on your charger attached to the correct post on your battery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did what you suggested,nothing happened,switched to a heavier extension cord,so far so good but it's not fully charged.I still have the problem of losing charge on a new battery after 4 hours of use with headlights off.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for this information. Your battery could be discharging after 4 hours, due to your charging system not working properly.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a manual pto, or an electric pto clutch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New electric PTO @30 hours
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your pto clutch is draining your new battery, because your charging system is not working properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should be checked next?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Either your rectifier regulator, or your stator/alternator is at fault.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

What are the make and model numbers for your engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Fluke voltmeter, but I only have a basic knowledge of it's uses, is this something I can diagnose on my own? I don't have the funds to just throw money at it. 20HP Briggs and Stratton INTEK V-twin. I hope that's the info you need . if you need serial #'s I'll have to wait till I can see.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Would you like to test your stator tonight, or in the morning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tomorrow, thank you Donald,I'll probably have to order some parts, but I hate to have parts I don't need.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
This is why I would like to troubleshoot our problem first. This way you will only purchase the parts you actually need. I will work with you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!