Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a & S 11.5 HP engine in a tractor mower that wont

Customer Question

I have a B & S 11.5 HP engine in a tractor mower that wont start.
Engine model 28D700 Type 1135-E1
I shipped it from the UK to Thailand 1 year ago, drove it into the container, now will turn over fast but no sign of any life?
Can you help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. When did it last run ? If it hasn't ran in a year most likely the gas has went bad and the carburetor needs to be cleaned and possibly rebuilt

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It last ran on the 12th August 2014, what little fuel was in the tank has long since evaporated, I filled the tank with fresh fuel last weekend 9th August and have been trying to start it since!
I removed the spark plug, held it against the engine body, cranked it over, got no spark, tried new plug, same result, so have ordered a new Magneto coil to see if this cures the problem? I have no spark tester so not sure if this is the issue?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

We you not getting spark could be a seat sensor switch etc . Did you set the ebrake when you checked for spark?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Another thought is to disconnect the ground to the coil and check for spark or see if it fires up , if you have it it or it runs with the coil kill wire unhooked you know something is grounding it out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On my machine I have these sensors, however they prevent the starter from engaging, if I engage the hand brake the seat sensor is shorted, so can try to start.
I have already tried the magneto with the kill wire unhooked with no success, I have also put some petrol into the head through the spark plug hole, connected and tried to start it, nothing, not even a pop! So I have ordered a new magneto coil, spark tester and spark plug, hopefully this will at least get the machine to try to fire up?
As I have not run this for a year, and it has been shipped in a container from the UK to Thailand, I have also ordered a carb overhaul kit, as I suspect the carb is bunged up, after many attempts to start it the plug is still dry, so I think I have no fuel getting into the cylinder, and if I did have, I have no spark to light it up!
Oh what fun with boy's toys!!
Should have the bits in a few days, so will get back to you if it still doesn't fire up, although I think a stuck valve is all that is left?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
I agree the coil and carb are the two things to look at , if you had no spark with the kill wire unhooked that's a good sign the coil is bad