Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a cub cadet ltx 1050 50 inch with a kohler courage 22

Customer Question

hi i have a cub cadet ltx 1050 50 inch with a kohler courage 22 hp twin.Mower would not start just click.checked wiring cables fuse.repaired cable end.Tried to start click and starter spinning no start. pulled starter, bendix sticking would not come out,freed bendix up and started mower.I mowed for a couple of hours when the motor picked up speed big time throttled back no controlling it and shut it off.i Checked governor spring had some grass on it,anyway i had enough for one day it was 110 out motor was hot anyway and i called it a day. I ordered starter motor and solenoid switch put them on this morning week later, big click at solenoid and at starter plus posi cable nut was warm so it was getting power but it will not turn flywheel so i pulled starter and tried to turn flywheel with screwdriver with plugs out wont budge.Checked pto switch works not on checked starter working good.I think i know the answer it is 6 years old i mow about 4 acres quite often any insight would be helpful thanks
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i forgot to add battery checks out ok 12.6
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is battery voltage when key is turned to start?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry didn't read far enough! Remove the spark plugs ad see if engine could be fluid locked from oil or fuel on top of a piston. If not, check under the engine fro anything that could bind the pulleys. Anything else might be internal damage to the engine, you said it ran it high speed? Governor may have broken and is now locked engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i sat on mower and checked 6 volts but the starter started to smoke a bit nothing binding under neath i removed plugs before when i tried to turn flywheel it was in my writeup they where dry not fouled
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 6 volts was when trying to crank it, with just key on nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was running when i shut it off but like i said it was was and i did not try again till today till after iput the new parts on
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like engine is locked!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I think you have internal damage.