Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

My jd mower with the kawasaki engine model fd671d engine is

Customer Question

My jd mower with the kawasaki engine model fd671d engine is smoking blue smoke and losing oil , what is the cause ?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the crankshaft breather and where is it located ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** my ph #(###) ###-####
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer , my concern would be the rings , is it leaving oil caked around the deck of the tractor where the engine mounts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No oil on the deck , it is blowing blue smoke badly
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , oil levels are correct right ? Is there oil stains on the air filter etc ? . If it's a ring problem it will be allowing oil past the rings and it will get into the valves, this will cause the smoking and burning of oil but you may also have "blow by " , that's where the oil also gets into the intake valve area and and will stain the air filter. Sometimes it's heave , and other times it's spots .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to keep adding oil after running for thirty mins , no oil on the air filter
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Smoking blue is a dead tale it's burning oil . It has to be getting past the rings on one of those cylinders and down into the exhaust valves, have you pulled the spark plugs to see if one in really black or fouled ? . If one is that's will be your suspected cylinder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It had way too much oil put in it and that's when the problem started
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok , well it will smoke badly if it's over filled with oil , get it level , make sure the oil is at level and run it , it'd going to smoke , sometimes they smoke up to 30 minutes, it's the valves burning it out of the valve train etc . The oil doesn't smell like gas does it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked the plugs both are black just put them in a month ago
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Well how over filled was it ? , if it was extremely over filled it fold the plugs . Make sure the oil level is good and clean the plugs and see if the smoking stops in 20 to 30 minutes, it will have to gun out if the valves etc .

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Any time the oil gets in the valves it will smoke for a good 10 to 30 minutes. If it was ok before being over filled it most likely has residual oil in and on the valves . It wouldn't break the rings or valves etc
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi did you ever get the smoking resolved ?