JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

New Toro (purchased March 2015) 22" recycler mower loses

Customer Question

New Toro (purchased March 2015) 22" recycler mower loses power and stops while mowing. Briggs and Stratton engine sounds rough like it may not getting enough gas when idling. What is wring with it and how do I fix it?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

How long does the engine run before it begins to lose power and die?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It dies when I begin to mow grass which is very thin and spotty here in Texas this time of the year.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Does the engine have the ready start feature? No choke, no primer.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. No choke or primer.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

This engine has an automatic choke that is built into the air vane and carburetor assembly. If the automatic is not pulling off as it should then it would cause the engine to run low on power and die shortly after started. Do you notice any smoke coming from the exhaust when the engine is running?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you remove the air filter and try to run the machine and see what happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No smoke coming from exhaust. I can try removing the air filter but I'm not going to go out and do that now and then come back and report the result.. It sounds like its not getting enough gas when it's idling. Not at all the sound when I first got it in March.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the Spring when mowing thick grass, the engine would rev up to handle it.easily. Can't handle even thin, spotty grass now.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You could have a carburetor blockage but I want to rule out these other possibilities before we go to that. You could also have a governor spring that has come loose as well which would cause the problem. We want to look at a couple more things but before I would do much on the machine myself, I would consider the age and the fact that you do have a warranty on the machine and it can be repaired by an authorized service center at no cost to you. I will continue to assist you as long as you need to help determine what is wrong.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Do you mow around or under any small shrubs or trees?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John, I can see this exchange is getting me no where. Sounds like it could be a lot of things. But you really don't know what's wrong with it nor what I need to do to fix it. This exercise was a waste of your time, my time and my money.. Let's chalk this up to a disappointing but learning experience for me.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I was trying to find out if it was possible that you may have run under something that could have pushed the governor spring mount bracket backwards which would explain the loss of power and dying when under slight load. You could have a governor spring that has come unhooked. So yes there are several things that it could be and we have to use a process of elimination to figure out what has happened. As I said prior though, if the machine was just purchased in March of this year it has at least a two year warranty on it through the manufacture therefore you don't have to fix it yourself. The manufacture, Toro and Briggs in this case would repair it at no cost to you if you take it in to an authorized service center. There are just too many possible things that it could be and since I don't have the machine right in front of me I have to depend on you to check the things as we go through the process.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.