JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a LZKC60. I got it used with the house I just moved

Customer Question

I have a LZKC60. I got it used with the house I just moved into. It's about 8-10 years old. Seems to work well, except...the Mower Belt has now dropped below the Large Mower Deck Belt pulley for the 3rd time now.
In order to change it the easiest thing I have done is to cut the belt and put a new one on.
Does anyone have a suggestion to keep it from dropping below again? Tighten something?
thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The belt that you are putting on the machine. Is it an original equipment belt? Or an aftermarket belt? Is this the mule drive belt that comes from the engine up to the deck or the cross drive belt that actually runs between the blade spindles? Do all the pulleys look like they are aligned fairly close? What condition is the idler spring in? Can you provide a full model and serial number from the machine so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Original belts. I think it's mule drive- runs from back of machine up to mower deck.I think pulleys seem aligned. Not sure about idler spring? Is that the one on back by motor?
Lz 25KC604
S/N 522277
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the mule drive belt runs from the back of the engine up to the mower deck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah. That's the one that slips below the large pulley.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me the part number that you have been putting on that keeps jumping off?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you measure across the two idler pulleys on the rear that the belt goes through and tell me what size they are? I wonder if someone has replaced them at some time and put the wrong size on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the belt.The two lower ones seem to be 5" and 6".The one on the left has a spring that helps when putting on the new belt. That spring has little to no tension right now. Could that be the culprit?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It won't have any tension if the belt is off. You have the correct belt on the machine. The spring could be stretched some that would cause the belt to not stay as tight as it should which would let if come off of the pulleys.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Your pulleys should be good, according to the parts manual you have a 5" and a 6" there. Do you notice the belt coming off when you first engage the deck or does it come off after you have been mowing for a while?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the 3rd time. This last time was at the end of mowing a very thick area. One time it was early and now that long.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I am going to recommend that you replace the spring, I think that it may be stretched a bit which is allowing your belt to come off under certain conditions. Have you noticed if it makes a difference as to the deck height?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I don't think so. Can you tell me the name or part number of that spring?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the Exmark part number is *****

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.