Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a mower with an electric issue that will not engage

Customer Question

Hi.... I have a mower with an electric issue that will not engage the pto clutch. I found a frayed pigtail and I replaced..... then, I replaced the clutch.... then, I replaced the run, kill and start relays.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Is your mower a Hustler Z, with a Kawasaki engine, and a 72" Deck? When you say frayed, can you describe this? We can continue from here. Thanks!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You have two wires going to your pto clutch. One wire is red/orange and the other one is black. Your black wire is a ground, and the red/orange wire is your positive wire. Let's try something. Check your battery voltage with your ignition switch, and your pto switch off, then check it again with your ignition switch, and your pto switch on. We need to determine if your battery voltage is dropping too low to operate your pto clutch.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You stated that voltage appear to be getting to your clutch, but soon drops. We need to determine what the voltage readings are, before and after the voltage drop.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Click on the link to open up the wiring schematic I have attached for you. We can use it as a reference.