Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I replaced a brake cable on Toro model 20333. The blade

Customer Question

I replaced a brake cable on Toro model 20333. The blade engages but the motor does not throttle up to operating speed.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you provide the serial number from the machine so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The cable that you replaced was the blade control or brake cable. Is this correct? The machine was working properly prior the replacing this cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I pulled on the bail the blade would engage and the motor would throttle up.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Did you by chance have this machine tipped over on its side when installing the new cable?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Does the engine seem to run okay with the blade disengaged prior to you pulling the bail back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to both questions.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Let's try removing the air filter and engaging the blade to see what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you have someone else help you and manually operate the governor linkage while the blade is engaged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Governor linkage is operated from the bail?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

So you have a throttle control at the handle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, throttle is automatic and preset when bail is pulled.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

That's what I thought but your previous message made me second guess it. You said that the blade does come on and run when you pull the bail. Did you remove anything more than the blade and the cover from the bottom side of the machine in order to replace the cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me what the rpm of the engine is when running and then when running with the blade engaged? I would like to compare the two numbers.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I don't know those numbers.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Without that information I don't know what else to tell you to look at. You have said that the engine runs good and at normal speed until you engage the blade. I had you remove the air filter to see if that made any difference and you said that it did not. I asked you to have someone manually move the governor linkage while the engine was running with the blade engaged to see what happened and you responded with the throttle is automatic and preset. You indicated that you had not removed anything from the bottom of the machine while installing the new cable that could have been assembled wrong when putting back together.

I don't know of anything else that I can tell you to check that might cause your problem. I am going to opt out of your question. Maybe one of the other experts here can be of more assistance to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my me is John and welcome to just answer. Do you have the part number of cable you replaced ?