Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have same problem as above was mowing grass mower stop

Customer Question

I have same problem as above was mowing grass mower stop cutting and when I shut it off it wont start LA145
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery and cables? Electric clutch dropped out from low voltage. Now engine won't crank. Look at the battery and the ignition fuse behind engine, near the starter solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine was running when it stop mowing when I park it and shut it off . when I try to start it it wont
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check fuse and battery!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have check the yellow fuse 20 amp is ok . what about relay it looks like it is connected to switch for clutch
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid, then use old screwdriver to jump across the solenoids two large terminals to see if the engine will spin. This is quick test of battery. cables and starter. The electric clutch is not going to engage if there is no voltage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine turns over just fine. There is a relay in the clutch circuit just down from switch that puts clutch in gear part # ***** could this be bad?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, you said it won't start, I thought you meant the engine. You mean only the clutch does not engage. Yes, there is a relay that the pto switch has to close to send battery voltage to the clutch. Do you have voltage to the clutch wires? If you have voltage to the clutch, the clutch may have failed. No voltage, switch or relay problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you pull switch out you should be able to hear clutch click I do not hear that. being that I was mowing the grass and the clutch disengaged engine was running until I shut it off. It is acting like I left the clutch engaged when I shut it off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to go to John Deere and get relay will get back to you when I replace relay.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put new relay work all of 1 min. Engine runs but will not engage clutch
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If you have no voltage to the clutch from the new relay, the clutch may be drawing too many amps.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Anything over 5 amps is to much!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Clutch may be bad and have to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
clutch will engage if you hold down the pio switch that the switch that lets you mow in revers.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

RIO switch. Locate the reverse switch that cuts out the blades. It may be stuck open, keeping power from getting to the clutch. You bypass it when you use the Rio switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
were is that switch located
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

# ***** switch, looks to be on the side of the frame where the reverse pedal hits it.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/PU01/PU01501________UN16MAR09.gif

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK will be working on it tomorrow.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
spent all day replacing pto switch check all wire connection and got no where seat switch works reverse switch works clutch is only thing I can think that is causing the problem. when you have the ignition switch on the clutch will click some times and sometimes not.I have voltage to clutch.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Wires to the clutch ok? Not damaged or a bad connection? Clutch should click each time switch is flipped. Clutch is a non adjustable model, so there is nothing to change at the clutch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I do not understand is why the clutch will engage when in reverse and I hold down the pio button as soon you release the button and are still moving in reverse it will disengage if I push the button it will reengage. I have order the clutch but I really do not believe the clutch is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also is there that the old clutch may have a short and damage the new relay
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Maybe the rio switch is bad!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Maybe the rio switch is bad!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all switch are working
Rio is a momentary contact switch it test just find
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Are the wire connections to the switch good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you bypass the rio?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that switch is good it is open in its normal position and close when you push it in. I have not work on it today have guest from New Jersey but will be looking at the seat switch it not only kills the engine but I thing it disengage the clutch when you get off the seat
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Seat switch will kill engine, but not clutch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I am concerned you did not help me. I am calling John Deere I have replaced everything that you said and the mower still does not work.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it is better to leave it to the professionals. I would really like to know the outcome.