JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My ferris zero turn mower keeps blowing the fuse to the

Customer Question

My ferris zero turn mower keeps blowing the fuse to the electric PTO clutch after 15-30 minutes of cutting. Sometime it will blow the fuse in less than a minute of engaging the mower deck. What could be the problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

This sounds like the clutch is pulling too many amps and causing you to blow the fuse.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

What size fuse do you have in there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It calls for a 20 amp but I put a 25 amp in and it still blowed fuse.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have an adjustable clutch on your machine? If you look at the clutch does it have a triangle plate with three nuts or is it just a round clutch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Which do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Triangle clutch
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

On the triangle clutch, this clutch is adjustable. If you look around the triangle plate you will find three slots, you will need a .012 inch feeler gauge and you can adjust the clutch.

A .012 inch feeler gauge and a 9/16" wrench will normally allow you to adjust this.

You want to go to each of the slots and insert the feeler gauge between the two plate there, adjust the clearance by tightening the nuts. We want to take this slowly and go over them two or three times because when you tighten one nut it can change the clearances at the other slots. I believe if you make this adjustment your problem will go away, if it doesn't then you will end up needing to replace the clutch.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already adjusted the clutch and it did not fix the problem. The clutch is a magnetic coil therefore it could have shorted out internally in which case it would blow the fuse as soon as you switched it on or the coil could have burned open in which case it would not work at all. I don't believe you have solved the problem.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Did you adjust it to .012 inch? As I indicated if adjusting the clutch does not solve the fuse blowing issue then the clutch will have to be replaced. I always try the adjustment first prior to just replacing the clutch. If adjusting doesn't solve the issue then there is a problem with the clutch winding that is causing it to draw too many amps once it gets warm or hot and then it will blow the fuse. I have seen this happen a lot, eventually the clutch will not work at all you are just in the beginning stages of clutch failure, in that it still works when it is cold. The key is to make sure that you have adjusted to .012 inch clearance.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You could remove the clutch and try to find someone that can repair it, some electrical repair shops can rewind them. I used to have an electrical repair store nearby my that could do this type of repair but they closed about a year ago. I haven't been able to find anyone else since that is willing to do it.