Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a &s 21hp OHV, I/c, V-Twin tractor engine. Model

Customer Question

I have a b&s 21hp OHV, I/c, V-Twin tractor engine.
Model 407677, Type 0182 E1.
I need to remove and replace the starter. My Q is how in the world do I get the old one off the engine block. I have stripped everything I can get to off but I can't seem to find the bolts holding the starter on and the bolts I think are the ones I can't seem to get to at all with a sock wrench much less a crescent.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. The bolts to the briggs v twin engines are usually under the flywheel. One way it to remove the flywheel but you would need a impact gun , large socket and a big 3 jaw puller . The other way is to use a 1/2 Cresent wrench and get to it , look at this video I around the 5:40 mark , he will show you how to remove the starter without pulling the flywheel.

https://youtu.be/FSaswqsxExM

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok it looks like your starter bolts straight on , your gonna need 1/4" drive socket , watcher and extension . You may have to turn the gear upwards by hand to get the socket in there and some of them gave the star shaped toro heads so you man need a screwdriver with the interchangeable bits and the correct toro bit size .

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Torx not toro , that was a auto correct error