Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 2008 z425 with Briggs 23hp. It has been running

Customer Question

I have a 2008 z425 with Briggs 23hp. It has been running great, but yesterday it started and ran for approx 1 minute then immediately shut off. Couldn't get it to run for 5 min...then while choked it ran for approx 4 seconds...wouldn't start again. Thoughts? Thanks.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
How long has it been since your engine last performed to your satisfaction? Have you checked the fuel shut off valve on your carburetor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked well the last time I used it (which was last Friday). I have not checked the fuel shut off valve. I have only confirmed that fuel was getting to the carb. I tried to start it again this evening and it ran for a few seconds and immediately shut off.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for this information. If you are absolutely sure that fuel is getting to your carburetor, then it is very likely that either your fuel shut off solenoid is not working properly, or your carburetor will need a really good cleaning.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your fuel shut off solenoid should click each time you cycle your ignition switch on and off. It has a spring loaded plunger in it, that should retract when your ignition switch is on, to allow fuel to flow into your carburetor.