Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have craftsman 18 hp intek briggs and stratton engine I

Customer Question

I have craftsman 18 hp intek briggs and stratton engine I had to replace valve guide and push rods. the intake valve opens ok but the exhaust valve barely moves what is the problem
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Did you put the small caps back on both of your valve stems? Let's make sure that your exhaust valve is not partially sticking inside your valve guide. If you press down on both valves, by hand, do you feel an equal amount of resistance? Try swapping push rods, to see if our problem moves to your intake valve.
You may have a worn lobe on your cam gear. What was your reason for having to replace your push rods and your valve guides? Did you allow your piston to go 1/4" past top dead center, on your compression stroke, before adjusting your valves?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
We can continue from here. Thanks!