Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 16 horse kohler riding lawn mower with a bagger,

Customer Question

I have a 16 horse kohler riding lawn mower with a bagger, Serial number###-##-#### The problem I am having is that it won't start with the key all the time. I can short the solenoid out and it will start all the time. Onetime it will start with the key and the next time or ten times it will not. Checked all the wiring no shorts. I'm guessing it might be the ignition. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Check for a loose connection within your fuse holder. If you have a loose connection here, then your ignition switch will not have power all the time. Although you have power going into your fuse holder, a faulty connection can prevent output power to your ignition switch, even though your fuse is good.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I by-passed the fuse holder and still nothing. I should have mentioned this earlier.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. Our problem could be caused by your ignition switch, but I would like for you to check something first. There is a small wire that attaches to the trigger spade on your solenoid. This wire energizes your solenoid, and closes the circuit between your battery, and your starter. Check this wire for voltage when your ignition switch is in start position. If you are getting 12 volts, but your engine still will not spin, then you could have a bad ground. Do this test during the times when your engine will not start.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If this wire does not have voltage, then you have either a faulty ignition switch, a faulty brake safety switch, or a faulty pto safety switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have not told me nothing that I haven't already checked. I just spent money and learned nothing.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

How are you today?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Due to the fact that I cannot see or hear your mower, I must ask troubleshooting questions, and make suggestions.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I have no way of knowing what you have already tried. I asked you about checking the small wire that attaches to your solenoid, but you never responded to me.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I am here to here you. Your satisfaction is very important to me.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a 12 volt test light?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I would love to continue working with you, until we figure out what is causing our problem.