Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My LT1045 oil light has been on despite an oil and filter

Customer Question

My LT1045 oil light has been on despite an oil and filter change, now it won't turn over despite having a fully charged battery. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Do you hear any clicking when you attempt to start your engine? What is the make and model numbers for your engine? We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not hear any clicking, no. But the lights and indicators come on. It's a Kohler engine, the spec on the air cleaner says it's PS-SV600-0009.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for this information. Do you have a 12 volt test light, or another way to check for voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked already and I'm getting 12.45 volts at the post and at the wire. The battery doesn't seem to be the issue.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We need to check to see if you are getting the same 12.45 volts to your starter, when you turn your ignition switch to start position.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can assume that your fuse is good, because your lights and indicators are working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just replaced the fuse as well, just to be safe. So I assume positive lead on the post at the starter and neg on the frame of the tractor, and turn the key?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

This is correct.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that your solenoid could be at fault.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I had my daughter help me by turning the key and something she did was magic because it just started. I'm guessing a loose connection or something. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! Thank you for letting me know. I do hope all continues to go well for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Let's hope that a loose connection was the reason your engine would not start. This will be great! Check all of your connections, just in case.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Have a great day!