JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I am tryint to remove a starter from a Vanguard 35 installed

Customer Question

I am tryint to remove a starter from a Vanguard 35 installed in a scag turf tiger. I can't figure out how much interference I have to remove.
I have removed the seat, oil cooler and front cover. I have removed all fasteners I can see but it appears something else is holding the starter in place.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The details on the engine are as follows: Vanguaard#(###) ###-####e1 08080612 Model0132-E1 Engine Code(###) ###-####
I can not find anything in the manual or parts diagram that helps illustrate what the problem is or how this is installed. I don't want to pull the entire engine to gain access to to, nor do I want to remove the flywheel. There must be something simple I am missing......
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

In looking at the diagrams for this engine along with viewing some other technical information it looks as though you have to remove the flywheel in order to get at a third bolt that holds the starter on. Very poor design if I say so. You might see if you can get a look in behind the solenoid and see if the bolt goes in from the outside it is really hard to tell from what I see in the diagrams but there is a third mount bolt in the starter.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this problem?
Please take a moment to rate your experience.