JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a craftsman ys4500 54" deck. Mower has been operating

Customer Question

I have a craftsman ys4500 54" deck. Mower has been operating strange. First, it hesitates every 30 seconds or so and acts like it is going to die. When operating the pto it will hesitate even more; trying to die. I charged the battery, check spark plugs, check fuel filter and all seems fine. Oil was changes beginning of season, however i had to add 1/2 mid season. When operating it has been spewing out white smoke from exhaust. What causes this and how can I fix it?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Is the machine spewing out white smoke from the exhaust the entire time that it is running? What engine do you have in this machine? Can you provide the model and type or spec number from the engine so that I can better assist you?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this problem?
Please take a moment to rate your experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine is a kohler prob spec ph-sv735-0017. Yes it spews out white smoke while operating
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you might have a blown head gasket. This would explain the hesitation, lack of power and the smoking. This has not been a huge problem for Kohler on this engine but it has been on some of their other engine models. The white smoke tells me that it is burning oil. Can you do a compression test and see what kind of compression you have on both cylinders?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Each cylinder is reading at 150psi dry
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The compression sounds good. What weight of oil do you have in the engine? Is it 10W30, 10W40 or SAE30? Does the oil appear to be thinned out? Does the oil smell like gasoline?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use 10w30 castrol
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

That engine should be using SAE30 oil. The Kohler Command series is the only one that they recommend using a multi-viscosity oil in. That could cause the engine to use oil and smoke.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about hesitation?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hesitation could be caused by oil usage. If you get enough oil on the spark plug it can cause it to miss fire and not perform properly. I would change to the SAE30 oil and see what happens.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.