JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a craftsman briggs and stratton 19.5 platinum lawn

Customer Question

I have a craftsman briggs and stratton 19.5 platinum lawn mower that surges when in the slow or low ideal position but in fast position it runs great have any ideas of whats wrong
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

This sounds like you could have an air leak between the carburetor and the block. Can you tell me if there is and adjustment screw in the bottom front center of the carburetor right below where the fuel pump is mounted on the carburetor? If so you could try to turn it out just a small amount, 1/8 of a turn should do it and see what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see a screw but I do see a welsh plug under the fuel pump. I have replaced all the gaskets from the engine all the way through the carburetor and the bolts are good and tight. Don't think it is air that is leaking. The carburetor has been overhauled and cleaned and the engine starts very well and fast but on low ideal is surges from high to low to where it almost dies.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

According to your previous information you had put a new carburetor on the machine. I am a little confused, did you clean and rebuild or put on new? It would be strange to get a new carburetor that would do this. You may have to remove the welsh plug and clean the passage behind it, there are some small transition jets there that could cause your surging.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found the answer to my problem. The welsh plug was not tight and was leaking air. Got a new one and put it in and all is well now.
Thank you,
Larry
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Great!! It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this problem?