Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Briggs & Stratton 8000 watt generator that has fuel

Customer Question

Hello
I have a Briggs & Stratton 8000 watt generator that has fuel dripping out of the muffler. I cleaned the carborator and changed the air filter but it still will not start and still has fas dripping out of the muffler when I try and start it. Thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer, the problem is your carburetor is not shutting off the gas flow and fuel is bypassing the carburetor and getting in the crankcase, if you keep trying to start it like that it will score the cylinder or lock the motor up . To fix it the carburetor needs to be completely rebuilt meaning replacing the needle and inlet valve, once it's rebuilt the oil needs to be changed before starting .

Those engines used two types of carbs , a nikki carburetor or walbro carburetor we need to know which one so I can walk you through the rebuild