Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I've got a Troy built bronco that I bought in 2005. Today

Customer Question

I've got a Troy built bronco that I bought in 2005. Today while cutting the tractor suddenly stopped moving forward and the pedal went all the way forward. I assumed broken belt. However I checked the drive and transmission belt and both were intact and they and all pulleys turned.
Funny thing is after manually turning belts and pulleys the mower worked again, for a few minutes, then same problem. I manually turned again and it worked long enough to finish.
Suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

There are two belts that operate the transmission drive on your machine. One that runs from the engine to the back of the mower which goes to a variable speed pulley, the second from the variable speed pulley to the transmission. The rear belt has a spring loaded idler pulley on it, I would check this spring, if it comes off or breaks it will allow the rear belt to become loose. By spinning the pulleys by hand you may get enough movement out of the variable speed pulley to allow the machine to work for a little while but eventually it will quit again because there is not enough tension on the rear belt to make the drive system work properly.