JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a troyBilt 6044 xp and when I pull start it, there is

Customer Question

I have a troyBilt 6044 xp and when I pull start it, there is little resistance and the shaft doesn't turn. The recoil works fine. I took off the starter housing assembly and it appears OK, and the two pieces of plastic on the flywheel look undamaged. Now I don't know how to hold those two pieces of plastic in the correct position while I reattach the starter housing. Ideas? Can't find a good video on how to replace the starter housing..
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Did you pull the rope while you had the starter assembly off of the machine?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Your plastic starter pawls should have little post sticking up on the top or them, these post fit into a slot in the plastic cover right above them. When the assembly is on the machine these can't come out of the slot but if you pull the rope with the assembly off of the machine these may come out of the slots and not work properly or retract when the rope is retracted. Make sure that these post are fitting back into the slot in the black plastic cap above them and then when the rope is retracted back in they will retract back into position and you can reinstall the starter assembly onto the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the starter housing and recoil is fine. there are no posts on top of the pawls I need pics or a video this description isn't helping
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you can provide the model and type number from your engine I can send you pictures of what it should look like.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

One thing you might try it to pull the rope out slowly as you try to reinstall the starter assembly onto the machine, sometimes this will help to line everything up and the starter will slip right into place.

While you have the starter assembly off however, you may want to manually give the flywheel a spin and see if it turns the crankshaft. Based on your prior information the flywheel could be loose and you may have sheared the flywheel key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
troyBilt 6044 xp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The flywheel does turn the crankshaft
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

When you install the starter assembly back onto the machine it is not turning the flywheel? What do the starter pawls look like on the flywheel? Are they operating properly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you install the starter assembly back onto the machine it is not turning the flywheel? - they are not turning it..What do the starter pawls look like on the flywheel?- OK a pic would be nice!!!! Are they operating properly?- they look ok?!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how about some pics of what it is supposed to look like
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately the diagram of the machine does not show a good picture of that side of the flywheel. Are you familiar with what I am talking about when I say starter pawls?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

When the starter assembly in on the machine and you pull it the flywheel is not turning. You have indicated that the pulley looks good and you see no damage to the cog on it.

The pawls should be pulled in toward the center of the flywheel, they should be at 90 degrees to the flywheel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pawls are spring loaded
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, they are or at least should be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are two of them
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

When looking at them, do they appear to be at 90 degrees to the flywheel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can position them 90 degrees to the flywheel but sense they are spring loaded they don't stay there very difficult to do this without a pic
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

As I said the parts diagram doesn't give a view of that side of the flywheel so it is useless. If I had a flywheel I could take a picture so that you could see it but I don't have one currently.

Can you take a picture of yours and attach it here and I will take a look at it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to continue this another time.. I've got another commitment sorry
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

That is fine, just come back to this conversation when you are ready and we can continue.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I just thought of something else that you may have happening. This starter has a secondary spring in it that may be broken or damaged. The plastic starter pulley is two part, one piece has the cog or teeth on it that engage into the flywheel, then there is this secondary spring which we call a start assist spring, then you have a second plastic pulley that actually houses the rope and rewind spring that retracts the rope when it is pulled. The start assist spring could be broken or damage which would cause the cog of the pulley to not turn or spin under a load and in turn would not turn the flywheel. Unfortunately you can't buy this spring as a separate part you have to purchase the complete starter assembly. Part number 753-08120 at a cost of around $11.50 depending on where you look.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this problem?
If not please take a moment to rate your experience.