Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

OHV briggs motor locked up... turn motor backward 1/2 turn

Customer Question

OHV briggs motor locked up... turn motor backward 1/2 turn and would start but now locked both ways sounds like its hitting metal in side engine
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Remove the valve cover and see if a valve has dropped into the cylinder. That seems to fit the symptom. If not valve, then you have connecting rod problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess that much can you please give me more ....never had the cover off what should I look for and what can I do to fix it......Like can I move it back in place or is something broke.....and if connecting rod can I remove bottom pan to see trouble thank you for any help .....paid 18 dollars hope to get more than confirm what I guessed already please help I have no income [disabled] and the grass needs cut bad........ Lester
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-vertical-engine-with-electric-starter/21b807-0326-e1-briggs-stratton-engine-electric-starter/

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Remove the cover over the cylinder head and look for loose parts! There will be two rocker arms, and two sets of springs.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Damage will be evident.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was the magnets on the flywheel, 3 had come off would not let the motor turn over...I would like my money back please