Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a kawasaki fb460v engine that puked oil on the

Customer Question

i have a kawasaki fb460v engine that puked oil on the f=ground when i shut it down today was runing fine but i noticed it was dropping a little oil as i pulled in the driveway to empty the grass catcher bags. i have taken extremely good care of this john deere lx176 and have changed the oil religously. it looks like the main seal puked
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

could the oil be over full or smell of gas in the oil?Much more common than engine loosing seal!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. No gas in oil. I put a catch pan under the tractor as soon as it started running out. Not over full. I know that's bad for air cooled engines. I'm a pretty handy guy and have been rebuilding cars for 40 years. I check oil levels EVERY time I run my machines and am very cognizant of those kind of things. I noticed after I went back into the garage where I keep the tractor that there was oil on the concrete which has never happened before and I didn't notice it until after I went back and checked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clean oil with new filter every 15 hours. New air filter every 10 cuttings whether it needs it or not. This tractor looks new even though it's a 1997. I have a simplicity with a twin 24hp Briggs that I bought new in 1976 and it still runs like new
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Leak down under engine?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Seal can be damaged by debris .??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's all about maintenance right? All of the oil ran out of the bottom in fact there is no oil left except in the filter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It puked from the bottom all over the deck and I noticed because it's a pressurized oil system, there is oil on the right side footrest as you are sitting on the tractor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought it may have been the drain tube but it is good
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Seal may have been damaged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's covered and protected. This is a very level yard and there is never any debris in fact I walk the yard before I mow making sure there is no pine cones or anything that I could hit. The yard is like a golf course on the river we live on. 3/4 acre flat and beautiful
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No play in the crankshaft?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
based on that I'm thinking main seal.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Nothing else to do but pull engine!