Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a vanguard 35 hp horizonal shaft engine that has a

Customer Question

I have a vanguard 35 hp horizonal shaft engine that has a dropped push rod. I'm trying to remove the shaft end casing to get to it and the casing will only come out about 1 inch and stops. I can see the rod laying in the bottom but can't get case off. am i missing a step?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you removed the governor linkage from the governor shaft that goes into the top of the cover?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is nothing connected to the casing if that is what you are refering too, i have removed all the bolts holding the casing on
give me a minute and ill go look again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the govenor is not on the case but on the top of engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the case or cover im refering to is the one that the crankshaft goes through
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Take a look at the crankshaft be sure that it is clean otherwise the cover might be hanging up on it. That's the only other place that it might hang on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shaft is clear, seal has seperated into pieces so there is nothing there to hang on, is there something else i should be disconecting, do i need to rotate the shaft in order for the gears to release
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
engine still ran befor i started taking it apart, just on one cylinder
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

There is nothing else that would keep the cover from coming off. You might try turning it a little while pulling it to remove it. There is nothing else internal that would keep it from sliding right off. You could try turning the engine just a little it is possible that the valve tappets may be applying enough pressure on the camshaft that it is causing the camshaft to not slip out of the side cover bore.