Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a yahama gas golf cart approx. 2000. engine runs good

Customer Question

I have a yahama gas golf cart approx. 2000. engine runs good but when I push down on the pedal the engine doesn't speed up thus the cart doesn't move in either direction. The same thing happened a few weeks ago and I finally noticed a wire was disconnected from what looks to be a coil as there is a plug wire attached to it also.When I reattached the wire the cart worked fine.This time I've reterminated the same connector as it appeared a bit loose but the issue still remains. could this be the coil???. Got any ideas.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! You say engine runs fine? Are you sure the engine is starting? Or is it just running on the starter/generator? If engine does not start, you get no engine speed to engage the centrifugal clutch. Are you getting spark to the spark plug? Is the carburetor getting fuel from the fuel pump? If the engine is starting and will not pickup rpm, is the throttle cable moving the throttle plate in the carburetor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It certanly seems that the engine is starting and the throttle is moving the throttle plate. As i said before I'm wondering what part the two wires play with the big picture This appears to be a coil as it has the high voltage wire attached to the plug. As I also stated I had the same problem, found one of this wires disconnected; reconnected the wire and it worked fine.This time I reterminated the wire with no results. I also find that if I slam down the pedal it will take off at full speed but will not maintain this speed once you let off on the pedal It just barely moves. could this "coil" be the problem or am I out to lunch
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It is the coil, and it has to supply the spark for the plug! If it is loosing spark engine quits,

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I assume this is four cycle engine.?? Not two cycle that has to mix oil and gas.