JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a troybilt Super bronco model#13at609g766. the

Customer Question

i have a troybilt Super bronco model#13at609g766. the problem is slack in the belt for the pto from engine to deck. when i engage the blades it still has an inch or so of slack. what should i look at ive had loose belt issues before but usually a new belt fixes it
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you tell me if your machine was built in 2004 or 2005? This model machine was built only those two years but the two years take different deck belts so I am wondering if maybe you are getting the wrong belt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i believe it was 2004 we bought it used. i know it has two belt for deck and 2 to trans axle. how can i tell what year?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The serial number will tell you what year it was built. The fifth digit of the serial number will be a year indicator.

You have two belts on the deck. Are you using original equipment belts or aftermarket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are mtd belts for troybilt mtd mowers part #954-0497
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Are you using this same belt as a replacement for both? Which belt(s) have you replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i looked it up at troybilts site where i ordered my steering gear and hex bushing and it shows its a 2004 model and belt to be either(###) ###-####and(###) ###-#### ***** year i replaced both the deck belts and this year the one cause it broke.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, it looks like you are using the correct belt on the machine.

Let's look for any deck hangers or brackets that might be loose or broken, especially on the front of the mower deck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ill look again tonight. i looked last night and all that looked good. i know when blade isn't engaged it looks saggy and falls off,and when engaged it has an inch or more of play. used to if you got in tall or thick grass the blades would almost stop and now they turn but not fast enough to cut and you don't hear the noise like you should. i'm planning on changing the transaxle belts this weekend if i can get this fixed cause they are worn and cracked.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Just let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i went home and looked all brackets looked good, but i did find a cable hooked to a bracket on the deck that connected to the spring for the tensioner pulleys. i got it to move so i cleaned all around it and oil it and it tightened my belt. so i think i fixed that one. know anything about craftsman mowers?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

What can I help you with on the Craftsman?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was running fine had a tension pulley come off, put it back on a couple of days later cranked it up and it was idling rough and would barely run with blades engaged. oil level was fine one spark plug was fouled changed oil, filter and plugs and still running rough. any ideas. model #917.272460 gold/tan color 21hp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
briggs and stratton ohv
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

What color was the plug that was fouled? Was is a really black color or more of a white/gray color?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It being black indicates that you have a fuel problem. The engine is running to rich at least on the one cylinder. Did you replace the air filter when you were doing the other things? If not, I would take a close look at it, the engine may not be getting enough air which would cause it to run rich. If the air filter is good, then I would look at the carburetor, it may be leaking a little bit which would cause the problem as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ill change the air filter first and then the latter if that dont work
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this problem?
If not please take a moment to rate your experience.