JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Troy Bilt Pony. I put in a new spark pplug, battery

Customer Question

I have a Troy Bilt Pony. I put in a new spark pplug, battery and checked the 20 amp fuse along with the seat switch and break switch but it wont crank over at all. What else can I try?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What happened just before you started having this issue? What kind of problem are you having? You haven't really specified other than letting me know what you have done already.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It ran fine but then I became ill and had the lawn taken care of by a service company so it has sat for about a year so I knew it would need some work. I drained all of the old gas and replaced with new, charged and installed a new battery and spark plug and checked the fuse. When I try to start it there is nothing, It doesn't crank over its just dead. So I checked the brake switch and the seat switch to make sure they were intact, still nothing.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, the seat switch will not keep the engine from cranking over so you can eliminate it. You have already checked the brake switch and determined that it is not a problem.

The only other safety switch that would keep you from cranking is the deck engage switch. You can check it and let me know what you find.

What kind of voltage are you getting to the starter if any when you try to start the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the deck engage switch seems to be fine also. I do not have any way to check the voltage.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Then we need to start testing voltage at the key switch, solenoid, starter.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this problem?
If not please take a moment to rate your experience.