Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a lazer z exmark..it will not start. .the electric

Customer Question

I have a lazer z exmark..it will not start. .the electric panel for the furl level hours of use does not come on..I've checked battery ,it's good, changed a solenoid, new ignition, and all new fuses..but it still doesn't try to start
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you load tested the battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it to 2 different O'Reilly auto parts they Said it was good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Normally when you turn key the panel with the fuel level bars hour of use come on and light for battery but that screen does nothing...
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like a poor connection in the wiring. Are you getting voltage to the key switch on the red wire coming into the switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wasn't a solenoid it was a relay..my bad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you cut the switch to on you can hear the pto click like it's engaging. .
The mower was fine I mowed 3 yards came home left it on trailer got to my next yard and discovered problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it have anything to do with safety switch under seat
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

So as soon as you turn the key switch on you hear the pto click?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the pto is engaged
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If the pto is engaged it will kill power going to everything else and not allow the machine to crank over. Just push the pto switch down to make sure that it is turned off.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I think I misunderstood your last response. You were saying that it clicks if you engage the pto, right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even though there is no power you can pull and push pto and you hear a click sound
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

So you are getting voltage to the key switch, the pto works when the switch is operated.

You could have a safety switch not working properly. I would check the brake switch first. Can you provide the model and serial number from your machine so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure I have a picture of those #
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, everything runs back through the fuel gauge/hour meter to operate this machine. We know that you are getting power to the meter because the pto will click when the switch it pulled on. I would go back and check the seat safety, parking brake safety, control lever safety switches if any one of these are bad it could be your problem. Otherwise you have a bad meter that will have to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will check those and keep you posted..
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Just let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the brake sensor. .not it...ehere are control sensor
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

At the base of each drive control lever you will find one switch on each. Normally these have two wires going to each of them, if you want to unplug the wires on each one at a time and try to start with it just unplugged and with a jumper wire between the two.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still troubleshooting one by one will I be able to contact you tommorow for more advice?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

We can continue this conversation at any time just come back to this post.