Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Onan marquis 5500 starts but won't stay running. We hear

Customer Question

Onan marquis 5500 starts but won't stay running. We hear something running inside the generator and the meter is clicking the hours but yet it's off.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it just won't turn over at all. The switch inside and the Gen switch won't do anything. The light stays lit on the inside switch. Again we hear something running inside the generator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We made sure the 20 - 30 amp buttons were off then held in the start button until the Gen finally shut completely down. So now we're still sick with it not starting at all.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the model number of the genset?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a onan marquis gold 5500. The only number still legible is B02033516. The other numbers have been worn away.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Since you did state that this is a 5500W unit, I am going to assume that is is an HGJAB series.
The problem is that there are 7 different specification levels of the HGJAB. I really need to know exactly which one you have.
Most of the time you can read the numbers by holding a strong flashlight at an angle to the label, and looking at it from a different angle. You will be able to see the "shadow" of where the numbers were.
But in the meantime, remove the front cover of the genset.
Inside, in the front left corner, you will see a black 8-pin connector. Unplug that connector.
Does that make the sound in the genset stop?
.