Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a 1992 38cut with 12 h/p briggs engine in it, model #

Customer Question

I have a 1992 38cut with 12 h/p briggs engine in it, model # ***** iam trying to find out if the coil is the problem because it wont spark to the plug. a mechanic said it doesn't have points in it or condencer so it probably is solid modulator how can I check to see which unit is not getting spark to the plug
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer . The motor should have a electronic ignition , one war to tell is locate the moder , type and code on your engine cover , another way to tell is remove the engine coil and locate the coil , it should have 1 wire going to it with a blade harness, if it has 2 wires coming off the coil it could have points , but most likely it is electronic ignition and the coil has went bad . If that's the case when you get the new one , use a business card between the coil and the flywheel with the magnets facing the coil . Let the coil be pulled to the flywheel with the business card in between them , tighten the coil down and turn the flywheel to remove the business card and the air gap is set

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
The number 83707 pulls no information on the briggs engine , I'll need the model , type and code which will be on the engine cover most likely