JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My onan 4KYFA261000 S/N A953307822 is not getting starter

Customer Question

My onan 4KYFA261000 S/N A953307822 is not getting starter relay energized. there's a tiny TICK sound comes from starter relay and carb electronic chock, I checked the top two connections with tester and when I push the start switch tester bulb lights up for less than a second and then turns off. I checked the starter with a jump cable connected to starter side of relay, starts turns over. This gen came in an RV that I recently bought, gen was surging so I took cab out and cleaned it, put it back and gen ran fine, I had to put new gasket on both sides of carb so i took it out and put it back with new gasket and after that i never able to get it to the point that starter will power up, i have changed the start button as well. I am not good at electrical side, i might have wrongly wired start switch or some other wires. Gen is sitting outside RV with cover removed. I was wondering if there's any protective switch that prevents the gen from starting while the cover is out.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

When you jumped the machine it would turn over and try to start right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's right.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like you have a low battery or dead battery. If you can jump the machine and it turns over or starts and runs then everything has to be working fine. You just don't have enough voltage in you battery that is used to start the generator to crank if over to start. Does you generator utilize a separate battery to start than the rest of the rv? I just ran in to this two days ago, the customer thought that his generator was started using the rv batteries that also started the rv, but he was wrong there was a separate battery that actually powered his generator starting system which was bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the fast reply John, i think it's not battery issue, i have the gen sitting outside the rv and i am using jump cables that are hooked up to my F250 truck, battery starts the truck right away and i have the truck running as well. this gen been starting fine this way before i changed starter swtich and starter solenoid/relay. i think it's gotta do something with connections that i made putting starting swtich and relay.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

So you have already replaced the solenoid. Can you tell me if you hear any kind of noise when trying to start the machine? Can you tell me how much voltage you are getting to the starter post when trying to start the machine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No noise while starter button is pushed, the only sound is a tiny "TICK" it's not the starter ticking sound, it's coming from starter solenoid and from carburetor electrical part that is on bottom of the carb. i unhooked the carb wire and the only tiny tick comes from starter relay. no sound other than that. I don't know how to check voltage, can check it if you can help me how to check it. i have a cheap multimeter.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I would like to know if or how much voltage we are getting going to the starter post. With your volt meter we want to test for DC voltage at the starter post, take your red test lead and go to the starter post, the black test lead to a good ground, hit the starter switch and see what we get.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No voltage when starter switch pushed. Voltage shows up for a brief second on one of the wire on top of the solenoid, Note, on top of starter solenoid one wire says GND, its the other one. Also tick sound comes on both sides of push button, tick on start and tick on stop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just noticed that the click sound is actually coming from control assembly mounted underneath the starter solenoid. when start button pushed, i see that wire at carb choke and fuel pump getting full voltage, no voltage on starter solenoid.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you are not getting voltage on the to the starter solenoid but everything is powering up then it tells me that the connections have to be good. The only other place that i could suggest would be the circuit board. You are getting a click at the board but it is not sending voltage to the solenoid to make it work.

I have run through a flow chart provided by onan and it also confirms my thought that the circuit board is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there any way i can test the circuit board before ordering one?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The only test that is shown is to measure voltage between the starter solenoid(small wire on top) and a good ground. If you get no voltage when the starter switch is held in the start position then the onan service manual states that the circuit board needs to be replaced.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont' think this is the case as this gen ran fine before replacing start button, looks like there's a wire not grounded well. i'll give it a thorough check sometime this evening.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It could be a poor ground but you would normally not get any kind click or noise if the system wasn't grounded.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this problem?
If not please take a moment to rate your experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I am out of town, did get a chance to fix gen, I think I will just give it to tech to fix it. Thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for letting me know. Please take a moment to rate your experience.