Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Russ. I have an HR5111, 2680 hours. It will run and mow fine

Customer Question

Hey Russ. I have an HR5111, 2680 hours. It will run and mow fine for about 15 minutes then discharge the volts and shut down. We changed the time delay switch, no change. We zip tie the cut-off lever open and the motor will run but then the blades shut down when the volts are discharged again. The voltage will slowly build and then be stable. I kick on the blades and mow for about 3-5minutes then the volt needle shakes and discharges and the blades stop.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Kubota diesel engine? Your alternator is not charging the battery. You need to test battery voltage, before start, after engine is running at least 1/2 throttle, and again when blades are running. Voltage running has to stay above the standing battery voltage. I suspect you need alternator!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've replaced the alternator and the battery. All voltage holds fine with or without the blades running on the driveway for 45 minutes. Once we put it on grass then we have the problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kubota Diesel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The power drainage comes only after the blades have been running for more than about 15 minutes. Once the drainage starts is happens every couple of minutes whether I have 1,2 or 3 decks mowing. The volt gauge needle will hold solid just shy of 14. Then the needle will start to shake and will drop all the way down and kill the blades. Then after 30-45 seconds it will begin to climb still shaking until it gets back to 14. If I drop the throttle the needle will steady, then I can start the blades and go for another 3-5 minutes, then it does it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The temperature gauge reads 200 when all of this is happening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Somewhere we are having a voltage dump out. We checked and replaced the coils on all the decks. That did not solve the problem either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have also run individual direct ground wires to all the decks, thinking it may be a faulty ground.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It think you need to looking at the charging system, and not the deck components. Bad connection or alternator/regulator problem!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas on what might be causing the voltage dump out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We thought the coils might be heating up and creating a resistance that would cause it to lose voltage.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok we will go through everything again. Thanks.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

ok, let me know.