Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a natural gas 7.5KW generator. Lately it has't been

Customer Question

I have a natural gas 7.5KW generator. Lately it has't been starting, so I changed the plug, air filter, battery and adjusted the valves (this did not help). When I press the manual start button it cranks many times till it times out and stops cranking. Sometimes it will try to start and runs like a car that's missing too many spark plugs. I can get it to run normally if I put a shot of starting fluid and it starts right up. I had a plumber come out and re-run the 3/4 gas line (to a dedicated one) to make sure it was getting enough fuel (no change).
Please give me some ideas what to check next, I have called a local service shop and they wouldn't come out unless I signed a two year service contract, so I'm trying to fix it myself.
Thank you in advance.
Dean
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
The engine is not getting enough fuel.
It sounds like the demand regulator is bad.
This is not something you can test yourself, unless you have had gaseous fuel training, and have the proper equipment,.
.