JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a 1992 318 J/D and the voltage light started coming

Customer Question

I have a 1992 318 J/D and the voltage light started coming on when I would engage the mower. So I replaced the regulator and it ran well until I took a break after an hour or so. Came back out and it act as if the battery was dead. The starter would only engage and stop. I bought a new starter and installed it, same thing. Now when I turn the key on the voltage light stays on. Need some advice on where to go next.
Thank You,
Don
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you tried to jump start the machine? It sounds like your battery is dead. The battery may have a bad cell in it that is causing it to not take a charge or hold a charge. Your voltage regulator may have gone bad already.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John, You were correct in your diagnosis. The battery (Optima Red Top) has a dead cell in it. I took the one off my other mower and it started right off. Strange thing is I use battery tenders on all batteries year round. Can't understand why this one went bad after four years. I have one that is eight years old and is just like new, Thanks again for your help and advice. Don Tomlin
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It is odd sometimes but over a period of time they will go bad. I have seen them get low in the winter and freeze which will junk them.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.