JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Cub Cadet i1046 Nov 2007 make. I have changed the

Customer Question

I have a Cub Cadet i1046 Nov 2007 make. I have changed the drive belt but when I start the mower the drive shaft rotates but the belt doe not move. Is this a problem with the clutch?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you.

Can you tell me a little more about what is happening? The belt that you replaced was the mower deck belt? If so, it sounds like there may not be enough tension on the belt. Does the machine move forward and backward?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John. No its not the mower deck belt but the transmission belt. The machine doesn't move backward or forward. I can start the engine but when I try to engage the drive with the foot pedal in either direction the machine won't move. I can see that the drive pulley is rotating but the belt is not engaging.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The drive pulley on the engine is rotating or on the transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John. The pulley on the drive shaft into the engine is rotating, sorry I thought this was the transmission belt. The only other pulley is the PTO to drive the mower deck and I'm not referring to that one.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

So can you tell me if the pulley on the top of the transmission is turning? It sounds like your belt is too loose which is causing the belt to not turn which would also cause the pulley on the transmission to not turn.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John. Yes the pulley above the transmission is turning. I got the belt from the local dealer after providing him all the make and serial numbers from the parts manual. But maybe it is the wrong belt afterall.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Well, if the pulley on the transmission is turning then I doubt that it is a belt problem. Did you by chance pull the lever to release the transmission so that you could push the machine prior to replacing the belt? Make sure that this lever is pushed back otherwise the machine will not pull itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John. Some confusion here on my part. The pulley I'm referring to is at the front of the mower directly under the engine and attached to the drive shaft, below this is the electric clutch and then the PTO pulley. The drive shaft and pulley rotate, so I think you are right about the belt.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so you are actually looking at the pulley on the top of the transmission. I would take a closer look at the transmission belt to be sure that it is turning the pulley on top of the transmission.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John. No thanks it seems to be as simple as the wrong belt size. Thanks again. Keith