JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Toro Timemaster mower with electric start. If I

Customer Question

I have a Toro Timemaster mower with electric start. If I manually adjust what I think is the clutch and try to start using turn key it turns over, but as soon as the clutch lever moves to its original position the mower dies.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pictures of how the clutch looks when the engine starts and when it stops. I'm thinking something is out of place or a connection wire is off. This Toro has a spring that easily comes off and then the mower won't start, although it appears to be in place.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you.

Can you provide the model and serial number of the machine so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model 20200
Serial ####-##-####
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you attach those pictures so that I can get a better idea of what is going on. When you say the clutch, you are referring to the blade clutch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
392 & 393 are when the engine starts, but as soon as it positions to 395 & 396 is dies.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the pictures. This is the choke assembly, this engine is built with an automatic choke that is controlled by a thermostat that is mounted over just behind the exhaust or muffler as well as the air vane that is around the flywheel. As soon as the engine starts the air flow around the flywheel will partially open the choke to keep the engine from flooding itself out then as the engine continues to run and warm up the thermostat will open the choke fully.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any suggestions on why its dying. I have to manually adjust the choke before I can get the engine to start, but as soon as it flips back, the engine cuts out.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

So based on your description of what is happening this tells me that you are not getting enough fuel through the carburetor jets to keep the engine running unless it is being choked. I would take the bowl off of the carburetor, be sure that it is clean and has no trash in it, while you have it off take a good look at the bolt or nut that holds the bowl on. This bolt or nut will have three small holes in it that function as the main jets for this carburetor. Before installing the bolt or nut back into the carburetor be sure to clean these three holes good, there are two holes parallel to one another near the base of the nut and the third is straight down through the top of the nut.

This should take care of your problem. You may also want to drain the fuel and blow the tank out good just in case there happens to be more trash in it that could get back down into the carburetor.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.